For everyone who doesn’t care, here are my three top ten lists in books, albums, and movies and television.
I read many books in 2019, and I could have read even more if I would just finish them. But instead, I chose ten that I particularly enjoyed reading regardless of whether I agreed with everything (as evidenced by including two books with different views on atonement).
I also listened to a great deal of music, and like the books, I listened to many that are older. However, these were the albums I enjoyed listening to most this year–I chose albums because I tend to listen to whole albums.
Finally, I don’t watch a lot of movies, and many of the TV shows I watched, I had seen before. So, I combined the lists with a heavy bent towards things I watched within the last six months. I’m not a critique, so this list is mostly based on enjoyment (although I will argue with anyone on why #9 should be included).
*Disclaimer*: I suggest always checking content advisory guides before consuming books and other entertainment. Some of the content below might contain something you wish to avoid, and at times, it is as easy as skipping one episode in a series (for example, I chose to skip an episode of The Crown).
1. On the Cosmic Mystery of Christ by Maximus the Confessor
2. Philosophical Fragments by Søren Kierkegaard
3. Silence by Shusaku Endo
4. Analyzing Doctrine by Oliver Crisp
5. Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
6. Disruptive Witness by Alan Noble
7. On the Unity of Christ by Cyril of Alexandria
8. The Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche
9. Defending Substitution by Simon Gathercole
10. The Day the Revolution Began by N.T. Wright
1. The Crane Wife by The Decemberists
2. The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
3. Closer Than Together by Avett Brothers
4. The King Is Dead by The Decemberists
5. AM by Artic Monkeys
6. Kintsugi by Death Cab for Cutie
7. Revolver by The Beatles
8. Messenger Hymns Live by Matt Boswell
9. KIWANUKA by Michael Kiwanuka
10. Where Eyes Don’t Go by The Gray Havens
Movies and TV
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Good Place
3. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
4. Better Call Saul
5. The Crown
6. Spider-Man: Far From Home
7. The Irishman
8. James Acaster Reptoire
9. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Thanks for reading! Comment with your favorites from 2019, and give me some recommendations for 2020!